Friday, July 19, 2013

What Maisie Knew

Twice a year, my sister and I get to live like Eloise (of Plaza fame), staying at the luxurious Ritz Carlton Chicago in our own suite, while our parents stay next door in our uncle's apartment. Our favorite thing to do is to snuggle into the lush, down beds and watch ridiculously overpriced movies on the HD screen (with tea and cookies from room service, of course). This past visit, one of the movies was the recent release What Maisie Knew, a heartbreaking story about a little girl watching from the sidelines as her parent's marriage falls apart. The movie was absolutely captivating, and should definitely be seen by all. Yet something about it that mesmerized me entirely, being an avid fashion lover, were the costumes by Stacey Battat. Julianne Moore's character, a possessive yet neglectful mother, is also a rockstar, who goes on tour during the film. Her costumes are absolutely fabulous. There's Leopard print galore, lots of plaid, and one fabulous red, floral kimono robe she wears nonchalantly open over her pajamas throughout the scenes in her New York apartment. Below are some links to similar pieces.

Super cute layered Necklaces



Unfortunately, I couldn't find any film stills from any of these scenes with the kimono, but of course I found a great Kimono robe on Etsy that I promptly purchased to wear around the house (add cat eye eyeliner and a messy top knot, and you've got quite a look).


Maybe I'm making it up, but I seem to recall Julianne wearing some comfy yet sexy pajamas underneath that robe. A friend had recently introduced me to the line Eberjey, a line of swim, lingerie, and lounge clothes. I fell in love with their "Shorties", and purchased two pairs (being the impulsive shopaholic that I am). 

And the Matilda Shorts


I also recently purchased a Teddy from Splendid, but love I this one from Eberjey 


So I learned a lot of parenting lessons from What Maisie Knew, and also that I definitely have to own some great lounge clothes. See the movie and let me know what you take from it!



1 comment:

Lynda said...

Hi Arianna - glad you're back to blogging! Love the way you worked off of the movie (I've heard good things about What Maisie Knew and will watch it when it gets to Netflix).